An enterprising young centurion, Maximus Mintus, apparently began selling small round cakes flavoured with peppermint to help relieve the inevitable side effects of boozy feasts and feisty servants.
Maximus sold his mints in convenient bags of 30 (XXX), and became so successful that he retired at the ripe old age of L, having quite literally, made a mint.
- 1 Last year, over 300 million XXX Extra Strong Mints were devoured in the UK alone.
- 2 Breath like the floor of a parrot's cage? Going on a first date? Time to reach for your XXX Extra Strong Mints.
- 3 In consumer tests, XXX Extra Strong mints were consistently voted the UKs strongest mints*
- 4 Intelligence-booster or flatulence suppressor - both are acclaimed properties of peppermint.
- 5 Ooo-er, missus! Peppermint was also believed to be an aphrodisiac for women.
- 6 Pliny the Elder documented that the Greeks & Romans crowned themselves with Peppermint at feasts. Probably the origin of the saying, “In vino veritas he looks minted”.
*2011 Consumer Panel Survey based on strength, flavour, texture and overall preference